Thursday, March 5, 2015

It's National Nutrition Month!

I must admit...I find it difficult to fit health curriculum into my day.  Finding ways to fit content area curriculum into my literacy block makes it a win-win.  After teaching my little Healthy Eating Mini-Unit, I'm glad I found a way to fit it in.



I was shocked that my sweet little first graders did not know the difference between a fruit, vegetable, grain, protein, and dairy food.  Yikes!  We get so wrapped up in making sure they are at the appropriate reading level, that they are at benchmark for DIBELS, know their sight words and math facts, that we forget about vocabulary.

We used the shared reading powerpoint to learn about healthy eating, then we made healthy choices to add to our plate at the end of our easy reader.  My littles always enjoy interactive notebook-type activities.


After seeing that my students need help identifying the food groups, I think I may be adding a food sort to this mini-unit.  Stay tuned! 

No comments :

Post a Comment